Blogpost #5: Kyle's Seed Story - Sydney Stitt

This project was very enjoyable, and I personally feel like I learned a lot about ecology. I was surprised that I enjoyed this project, as gardening has never been a strong trait of mine. However, I think this project was definitely a fun learning experience, and my teammates also agree. I was given to opportunity to interview one of my classmates, Kyle Booker, to see what he learned from his own personal Story of the Seed project. Kyle's experiment consisted of hanging plants upside down to test how directional orientation affected his plant's growth. 

For him, he learned that directional orientation does effect plants, how to care for plants and what they require to grow, as well as the life cycle of his own brassica olercea plant, kale. I then asked him what surprised him throughout the process, and he said he was amazed by how large his plants would grow throughout the timespan of a couple days. He then elaborates this by explaining that he'd have tiny sprouts one day, and two days later, the plants would be much larger. It's not much of a surprise that he says his endless amount of kale puns brought in humor to his experiment when I asked what made him laugh. It was then time to ask a more serious question, 'what made you pause and think a little deeper?'. In response, he said the whole cell anatomy that consisted of macro-molecules really amazed him, as well as the general idea of cell evolution including mutation and replication in the tiniest of places.

Overall, it's common that many people were amazed and learned many great things during this project. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog post #8: A Matter of Selection (Grace Slone)

Seed Germination Lab Report